Grace Lutheran Church was organized on February 2, 1888, with 18 charter members. It was notable for being the first “English” church, with services in English rather than Swedish, in the Augustana Synod. Connections to Augustana College were strong, and services were held at Augustana’s chapel in the early years of the church.
On Augusta 27, 1891, the cornerstone was laid for the church shown on our this photo postcard from the Augustana College Library Special Collections. It held historical documents, newspapers, and coins, as well as drawings of the new building, which was designed by Philadelphia architect Benjamin D. Price. George Stauduhar, a prominent local architect, supervised the construction, which was done by P. Peterson of Moline.